A man who carried out a deadly attack outside a synagogue in Manchester was reportedly on police bail for an alleged rape at the time, though this has not been confirmed by Greater Manchester Police.
The attacker, named as 26-year-old Jihad Al-Shamie, was shot dead by police on Thursday morning after he drove into a crowd of worshippers outside the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation during Yom Kippur, one of the holiest days in the Jewish calendar.
Two men were killed and three others injured during the attack, which is being treated as a terrorist incident. Greater Manchester Police confirmed Al-Shamie appeared to be wearing a bomb vest when he was shot, though no viable explosives were found at the scene.
Al-Shamie, a British citizen originally from Syria, had been arrested earlier this year on suspicion of rape and was released under investigation. He was not on a counter-terrorism watch list.
The attack began when Al-Shamie rammed his vehicle into people gathering outside the synagogue before stabbing others nearby. Armed officers responded within seven minutes and fatally shot the attacker as he attempted to reach more victims.
Eyewitnesses said he shouted, “This is what you get for killing our children,” before being confronted by police. Alan Levy, chair of trustees at the synagogue, told reporters the incident has left the community “horrified and fearful,” adding that “our children aren’t safe in schools, and our people aren’t safe at synagogue.”
The incident has led to wider concern about rising antisemitism and the security of Jewish communities across the UK. Police have confirmed that two of the people injured were struck by gunfire as they attempted to subdue the attacker before officers arrived.
Greater Manchester Police said investigations are ongoing and several arrests have been made since the incident, though they have not confirmed if others are suspected of involvement.
Separately, it has emerged that Al-Shamie's father posted support for Hamas on social media shortly after the October 7 attack in Israel. In one post, he described the militant group as "Allah’s men on earth" and referred to Israel as a "terrorist state." There is currently no evidence to suggest he had prior knowledge of his son’s actions.
The Home Secretary and local leaders have pledged additional support for Jewish communities in Greater Manchester, including increased police patrols and a review of security measures at places of worship.
Oulder Hill records highest proportion of pupils achieving grades 9 to 5 in English and Maths
£20m funding for underinvested areas of Rochdale set to be approved
How major 1,550-home scheme would fit into Greater Manchester
Old industrial building demolition could unlock regeneration
Cardinal Langley students celebrate rise in GCSE and BTEC results
St Anne’s Academy in Middleton matches its best GCSE results
Heywood's Pride in Place scheme without chair after Brian Davies steps down
Strikes back on at four Greater Manchester hospitals after payment offer withdrawals, says UNISON
New play area coming to Lower Place
Bury Adult Learning Service welcomes residents to annual open day
Greater Manchester to receive £17m in funding to help with the homelessness crisis
Local golf clubs reach last eight of Manchester and District Alliance competitions

Comments
Add a comment